Sunday, January 27, 2013

Essay About Analyses on Paintings


Painting 1: Madonna in the Slums
Painting 2: Landscape
Painted Victory
             Fresh from the five lectures in school, I decided to go home to relax my exhausted mind. I rode a jeep and started shouting in my mind, “I will be in the top ten!” Right after I said “para”, I alighted from the jeep and began to walk. Suddenly, everything became dull and dark, the pavement transformed into a rocky road trying to trip me, and fear replaced my cheery atmosphere. Continuing to walk, I could hear from afar  the people in the slums near our house yelling at me, “Do you think you are bright enough to graduate from high school with honors and finish college?”  After hearing their vile words, I rapidly ran away from them, and sought refuge. I noticed a familiar ajar door, and quickly entered  it. I saw my mom looking at me with her eyes sparkling with tears. Then, she told me, “Anak, just don’t mind them.” I replied, “ Don’t worry mom. I’m getting to get used to it.”
             That’s the daily routine of the people in the slums around our home – yelling, mocking, and making my family downcast. In that kind of environment, I was like the naked baby and my parents were the lady carrying her child in the painting Madonna in the Slums. The painting shows how dangerous – mentally, physically and emotionally – it is to live with the people in the slums.
             Like the naked baby, I was then very vulnerable with any harm. The people in the slums had a chance to infect my mind with their words of discouragement, but my Madonna was there, carrying and embracing me with her comforting arms. I, trusting my Madonna, embraced her too showing that with her, I had peace of mind. But, I should not be always hiding behind my Madonna. I should do something to stop the cause of the problem – the people in the slums.
            I then decided to do my very best to replace their doubts by awe. I studied twice harder than I usually did, and I allotted time to read lessons in advance. Those made a great impact not only in my grades, but also in myself. I became more responsible and dedicated to my dreams. Also, I erased the word “procrastination” on my life, and that resulted in a better Jann Mar in mind, body, heart and soul.
             Finally, I finished high school with flying colors. Though not the valedictorian, I still received medals and certificates showing how much sufferings did I went through. That was one of the best  achievements in my life, and was a mark of a new life that was coming. That achievement was not only my price for succeeding in school, but also for conquering the environment I had in my community. All of the sufferings and sacrifices that I went through were given justice by that victory.
             My bad experiences with the people in the slums taught me three good things. It taught me that no matter how bad a problem looks, it will surely help one to discover one’s weakness, strengths, talents and capabilities, and  to be more dedicated to one’s goals. Also, it taught me that behind any slum area, there is always a beautiful landscape, a perfect place that serves as the prize for all of the tears and doubts that one had, that awaits for the people who conquered the evil slum environment. The third thing I learned is that there is another being who is omnipotent in the Madonna in the Slums painting, and He is the reason why behind every fearsome picture, you can see a beautiful paradise that is made just for you.

22 comments: